What’s a page on Sheesha doing on Tulleeho ? read on..
Smoking is one of the oldest practices of mankind – in the form of cigars, hookah, sheesha, narghile, etc. Tobacco has been around for centuries but only the instrument used to smoke it differs from place to place.
The Story of Sheesha
For the genuine sheesha buff, the initiation is through premium Egyptian tobaccos. In any casbah of West Asia, the sheesha man delivers a tray of tobacco capsules to the table that enables the guest to check out the aroma of each one until he settles for one. During the hookah delivery, the hookah man arrives at the table with a special hand potion. This could be a special Turkish potion or Egyptian, even some local stash. It is first gently poured into the palms to stimulate the senses. This apparently prepares the guest for the ultimate smoking experience. And then, the hookah pipes are brought to the guests for inhalation.
Tobacco mixed with fruit molasses and honey is used when smoking out of a Sheesha. Specifically, the tobacco is a ground up mixture of dried fruit pulp, flavored molasses, and fresh tobacco leaves. The Shisha tobacco comes in a variety of flavors (pop-up apple, apricot, strawberry, capuccino, mint, cherry, grape). The Nakhla brand is one of the most popular tobaccos that is used with the Hookah. It is made in Egypt from the finest of tobacco leaves and is dipped in molasses for a delicious taste.
Etiquette and Rituals
- Never light a cigarette from the coals on the hookah.
- Always rest the hookah on the ground.
- Never pass the hookah directly to another person, always first put it down and let the next person pick it up.
- Try putting ice in the glass base of your hookah and get the water ice cold before smoking. This makes for a smoother more enjoyable smoking experience.
- Try mixing lemon juice, orange juice, or some other flavor into the water in your glass base. It will enhance the taste of your hookah smoking experience.
- You can store your shisha tobacco at room temperature but it must remain in an air tight container (i.e. tupperware, jar, ziplock bag, etc.). This will keep your tobacco from drying up and losing its flavor.
- When you first start smoking your hookah, try placing the charcoal on the outside of the bowl and working it around the edges of the bowl. The center of the bowl should be the last place your charcoal is placed.
- Some people smoke the hookah like you would smoke a cigar while others inhale the smoke. Neither way is more correct than the other. It’s a preference thing.
- For a sweeter and perhaps more flavourful smoke, you can add some wine to the top two inches of the water in the base of your hookah. It’s a happier smoke, and you can really taste the wine.
[box type=”warning” align=”alignleft” ]A Word of Caution: Many people consider sheesha to be less harmful than smoking cigarettes. But according to a study conducted at King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah, sheesha can be even more harmful. Sheesha smokers absorb more carbon monoxide than do cigarette smokers, putting themselves at greater risk for coronary heart disease, arteriosclerosis and chronic respiratory disease. It can also retard fetal growth. Sheesha smokers using charcoal have higher levels of carbon monoxide in their blood than those using an electrical device. Carbon monoxide absorption is greatly increased when sheesha is smoked just prior to sleeping. Even minimal exposure to carbon monoxide is known to be harmful and people who smoke sheesha as little as once a day put themselves at risk. According to the study 15 minutes of smoking sheesha is equivalent to smoking one cigarette. The researchers defined a ‘smoker’ as anyone who smoked 15-30 grams of jurak each day.[/box]